The MOSAiC expedition (www.mosaic-expedition.org) under the direction of the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) is associated with unprecedented challenges. During the drift experiment, FIELAX supports the research crew on board the German research icebreaker FS Polarstern. 1-2 IT-specialists install and maintain parts of the extensive data management systems and also help to organize and backup all collected data. During the 12-month challenge, personnel, gear, consumables and fuel is replaced regularly. The first rotation currently takes place with help of the Russian icebreaker 'Capitan Dranitsyn'. The picture shows both vessels at their rendezvous.
We have a wide expertise in technics and information technology for solving your questions on sensors, interfaces, networking, computers and data logging.
- Installation, maintenance and supervision of scientific devices and IT systems
- Expertise in various serial/bus/network data communication interfaces and protocols
- Development of customized electronic hardware, circuit board design, micro processor applications
- Development of customized software
The German research icebreaker RV "Polarstern" now operates with programmable converter boxes by FIELAX. This box can read incoming serial data (interfaces RS232/RS422), convert/transform it by a programmable micro controller and output it serially. Multiple boxes have been installed on "Polarstern" to convert NMEA and binary data from a motion sensor to feed devices requiring specialised input telegram formats. Contractor was Reederei F. Laeisz GmbH. Read more
For the Alfred-Wegener Institute in Bremerhaven we worked at, with and in the polar research aircrafts Polar 5 and Polar 6 throughout the years 2008 to 2016. We planned, documented, supervised and/or did technical installations of scientific equipment and experiments. Read more
FS Heincke and FS Maya II are research ships of AWI which have a large range of different scientific sonars. Both have multi-beam echo sounders, Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler (ADCP) and other multi frequency echosounders. On behalf of the AWI we support many of those systems which means system maintenance and the education and the support of their users.
On RV FS Heincke we take care of the:
- Multibeam echosounder Kongsberg EM710
- Sub bottom echosounder Innomar SES2000
- ADCP RDI Workhorse Mariner 600 kHz (mobile use in moon pool)
- ADCP RDI Ocean Surveyor 150 kHz (hull-mounted)
- SV probe Valeport Midas
Before the campaigns we offer user trainings. Please contact us duly before your cruise to make an appointment.
FIELAX short manuals and manufacturer's documentation is available in the FS Heincke - Geräteakte.
On RV Mya II we take care of the:
- multibeam echosounder L3 ELAC SeaBeam 1185
- multi frequence singlebeam echosounder BioSonics DT-X
- ADCP RDI Workhorse Mariner 600 kHz
- SV probe Sea & Sun CTD90M
Please contact us for a user training. and for FIELAX short manuals and manufacturer's documentation of the instruments.